Thursday, April 19, 2012

A Dresser with a Past (part 2)

So a couple of months ago, I bought a vintage dresser for The Lady. I thought I'd just go ahead and sand it, stain it and paint it likety split. No problem, right? Well, it turns out all that takes a monumental amount of time. I'd guess it was about 20 hours of work. If the law firm I work for charged it out, it would come in around $6,000. I know this because my spouse evaluates everything by the billable hour. In his mind, this dresser has cost him about $6,300. And he didn't even like it in the first place.

I thought it would be a good idea to remove the veneer from the top of the dresser. This turned out to be a very, very, very bad idea. If you ever feel like removing wood veneer is a good idea, please save yourself the time and energy and just shove wood slivers in your hand and nails, bang your knuckles repeatedly with a hammer, then go to Home Depot and buy another damn piece of evil wood veneer to cover the one that is already there. It will be a lot less painful this way.

Also, be wary of the spouse who offers advice about wood refinishing (especially when he has  NO EXPERIENCE WHATSOEVER), but who does not actually help with the project. This is a passive-aggressive attempt to get you back for all those bitchy PMS moments you've given him over the years. Well deserved? Perhaps. But now you've been warned, so look out.

The drawers were easy to stain and they looked great. Washing the stain out of the dog's tail was not so easy.


It went from shabby chic to pile of crap right quick, let me tell you. I'm sure my neighbors enjoyed the view from their second story window for those 6 enchanted weeks of renovation.
Finally complete. Not bad, huh?! I had grand ideas of hand painting the relief, but I've had it with this project for now, so I called it a day and left it white. I actually like it like this. And that's not just because I'm lazy. Who knows...maybe I'll even install the other cabinet door pull someday.

No comments:

Post a Comment