Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Pink Bedroom 21; Andie 0

Last night 'Bama beat LSU like a rented mule. A travesty. Condolences to my fellow Tiger fans. Let's not forget the magical undefeated season and the SEC championship. Still...it would have been awesome to have stretched it into the post-season.

Yesterday, I had my own blow-out of sorts. And, yes, I am being overly dramatic. And yes, this is very much a White People Problem (Google it. SNL January 7, 2012). I'm having design drama with what has become my arch nemesis....The Lady's Pink Bedroom. Everytime I bring a new idea, I get sacked. Every new fabric is blocked. Everytime I think I have a solution to the canopy/bedding issue, I fumble it. I got nothin'. Pink Bedroom 21; Andie 0. I've got to get it out and move on. Here goes:

This room continues to frustrate my design vision. I let The Lady pick the paint, not realizing that these particular shades would be IMPOSSIBLE to coordinate, let alone match. Why in the world did I allow a FOUR YEAR OLD CHILD to pick the color?!? What was I thinking? I have purchased several yards of fabric (custom, non-returnable, mais oui) that matched the paint chip, but absolutely do not match (or even coordinate) once they get in the room. Is it the natural light? The oxygen? Is it the fact that no room, not even Mary Kay's, should be this pink? I hate pink. I'm changing Domicile's colors.

I managed to get the canopy (such that it is) up over the weekend, but the weird chair rail on the wall cuts it visually in half. I can't decide if it's cute or if it sucks. I bought 4 duvet covers from PBKids all of which are going back.The fabric is wrong. The curtains are too short. The bedding is the wrong color. I made The Lady cry when I said I didn't like princesses and that a real princess goes to med school, put off marriage until her 30s, children until 40 and retains her maiden name. Ok, I was projecting, but it's a solid plan for financial independence. As JJ says, "You may be overthinking all of this."

It started out fun, but the room has a life of its own now. I feel like I'm trying to put a tomboy in a gown. It just isn't working and I'm dejected and generally unpleasant. It has thrown the whole idea of Domicile up in the air. If I can't do my girl's bedroom, how can I anything else?  AAARRRGGG! 

Ok, that feels better. Time to focus on the positive and leave it alone for a couple of days or weeks or months. It will come together and it will all seem easy in hindsight.

See...I told you it was a WPP.

No comments:

Post a Comment